Wednesday, June 29, 2011

TIA


Today was a rather uneventful day. I got up earlier than needed, because one of my roommates told me I needed to get up and get ready otherwise I would be late. This was not true, however, but I didn’t figure that out until I was already up and rushing around. It wasn’t worth laying back down so I took my time getting ready and hung out with Jessica and Stina before we took a minibus to breakfast. Breakfast was meh, and our meeting with the mayor got cancelled because of elections. It sucked. We just sat around and talked about stuff. It wasn’t very productive. Lunch was meh as well. I miss flavor. While Rwandan food is better than anticipated, it gets old fast. I never want to eat a bland starch again.

After lunch we left to come back to Kigali. It was a long drive back. We stopped on the way though, and hiked down a hill to a really awesome waterfall. I was glad I decided to wear my tennis shoes today. It was a slick path down so I almost had to crab walk down. It was worth it though. I find waterfalls to be gorgeous and one of my favorite natural beauties.

On our way back we almost hit a cow as well. It was random. After things like that happen we just say TIA: This is Africa. Could you really expect anything less? Haha! It’s also an incredibly curvy road back so we all tried not to get carsick. We also couldn’t sleep in the car, because of all the violent turns.

We made it back safely even under these circumstances. A lot of the delegation is staying at St Paul’s tonight instead of returning to the homestays. I wish I were doing the same. I need to shower, and I can’t at my homestay. It also makes me uneasy, because people there go through my stuff. I understand being curious, but it still bothered me immensely. I would really rather stay at St Paul’s tonight with all of my friends. My camera is also dead, because I let a couple of the Rwandan guys borrow it last night. They took odd pictures that were rather inappropriate, but apparently that’s normal. It’s just been kind of an off day. I think the dreary weather started to affect my mood or something. I’ll bounce back to my positive attitude soon. I’m just kind of missing home and some of the stuff that goes along with that. Just one of those days, ya know?

Tonight will be fine I’m sure. Tomorrow is my first volunteer day at RAPP, and I’m really excited about that. I’m looking forward to finding out what projects I will be working on. I am also planning the safari trip for Angie and I. WIN! I’m ubber excited for that. I’ve also gotten to work on my French some this evening while chatting with one of the cooks here at St Paul’s as I’m waiting for my homestay guy to finally come pick me up. He’s an hour late… but yay French practice!

Until the next time,
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment